I found my devotional (Morning and Evening by Spurgeon) rather timely today with the big prayer event happening in Washington, D.C. today about returning to God by coming before His presence in humility, in sincerity, in prayer, and repentance. Hope you can watch! https://thereturnsimulcast.com/the-return
As per usual, I love to stop and focus in on certain words in the scripture and zoomed in on the myrtle trees.
Myrtle trees in the Bible:
- provide plenty of foilage for coverage
- symbol of recovery and the establishment of God's promises
Spurgeon describes the myrtle grove this way:
- the Church flourishing in a valley
- flourishes by still waters, unshaken by the wind
- inner tranquility: even when opposed and persecuted, she has a peace which the world gives not, and which, it cannot take away
Boice describes it this way:
“Israel is not likened to a cedar of Lebanon, which is majestic, or an oak tree, which is strong. Having blossoms that emit a sweet fragrance when crushed, the myrtle illustrates the strange grace of Israel in affliction.”
I hope and pray that we can return to God and receive his grace in this time of affliction, flourishing peacefully and quietly like the myrtle.
#charlesspurgeon #spurgeon #jamesmontgomeryboice #boice #zechariah1v8 #zechariah #bibleverses #scriptures #god #faith #thereturn #5cw #5core #spiritualwellness #recovery #myrtle